Our nursery is purposely designed to make the children feel at home and to suit their needs. The nursery consists of a Baby Unit which cares for children ages 3 months to 2 years (Caterpillars.) The Baby Unit has it’s own kitchenette for making up bottles etc. And a dedicated changing room; we provide wipes, barrier cream and nappies, with a ratio of 1 adult to 3 children.
The Ladybirds (2-3 years olds) and Clever Cats (3-5years olds) with a ratio of 1 adult to 4 children for the Ladybirds and a ratio of 1 adult to 8 children for the Clever Cats learn through play. During the main educational sessions, children learn in separate groups so that their learning can be tailored and focused on them. For the Ladybirds the focus is helping children to become more independent, toilet training features heavily at the age and the children have direct access to the children’s bathroom. For the Clever Cats our main focus is helping the children prepare for school, building their language, communication and numeracy skills.
All children have consistent access to the garden outdoors at nursery. All children are given the choice to enjoy the outdoors as we also regularly go on walks to look at our environment. It is important you bear this in mind when sending your child to nursery so that they are suitably dressed.
We also have a fully equipped kitchen and we employ a cook on site to prepare all the children’s meals.
Baby changing and toilet facilities are available and suitable for the children and designed so that they can learn to be independent. We employ a cleaner to ensure the highest standards of cleanliness and hygiene.
In our secure garden which is split into 2 sections, a grassed area for growing and exploring and a soft play area, the children enjoy growing, playing and climbing, exploring the senses and building, the outdoors is differnt from indoors and all children are likely to access the area during the course of the day.
All rooms follow the EYFS Framework (Early Years Foundation Stage.) This ensures a consistent approach to planning for each child as an individual, as the framework gives us guidance in providing quality childcare to meet all individual needs. All of our planning is done from the premise of the Every Child Matters framework, which creates a focus to be healthy, stay safe, enjoy and achieve, make a positive contribution to the wider community and develop positive relationships. Planning focuses on each individual child and their own stage of development and we support them at their own pace, when they are ready.
We support children in their pre reading skills (phonics) through the ‘Letters and Sounds’ programme and are implementing the National Strategy which is called ‘Numbers and Patterns.’
We like to believe we are a very active nursery providing extra curricular activities for the children to access. Here are some of the extra activities that we provide at present – Across both settings:
- Dancing – This is led by a qualified dance instructor from Lancashire Dance Academy, the children are taught a variety of different types of dance. This is an additional service to the nursery so this would be an additional cost (please see price list)
- Walks – Especially in the Baby and Toddler Unit we try and take the babies out in their prams on walks, around the local area or up to our local Children’s centre where we can access the sensory room. There is a consent form on your application form when you sign up with the nursery to say whether you are happy for your child to go out on walks. If you do not want you child to participate then your child will be offered a different activity within the nursery with another group of children.
- Trips – We do run trips throughout the year for children. You will be informed via the Parents Monthly Newsletter and Facebook. The trip is often open to the whole nursery and works on a first come first served basis. Often a mini bus of coach is hired. Trips vary from theatre trips to visiting educational centres.
- Languages – As part of the pre-school curriculum, communication, language and literacy, we start to provide the very basics of Spanish in the Clever Cats groups. Or if you have a specific need around an additional language we will aim to accommodate your needs. If you have a trip planned we can work with you to teach your child some basics.
- Swimming – From the age of two all children access swimming as part of their regular activities. This enables children to access swimming with a qualified swimming instructor at the swimming pool within Total Fitness. The children are asked to bring a swimming bag containing a costume, swimming hat, towel and swimming nappy if necessary (if your child is in nappies we ask you put a fresh nappy in for your child for after their swim)
- Running Track – The Clever Cats children have the opportunity every morning to go on the running track situated in the gym upstairs with staff from the Clever Cats or Ladybirds team.